By Cynthia McIntosh
Success With McIntosh
Need people to read your post? Bump it! I get asked frequently how often one should post, what one should post,and how to get a post read. It’s a fair question, since that is really what social media marketing is all about. After all, if no one is reading what you are posting, you aren’t getting much done! So today I’m going to tell you how to add new life to those posts that have lost their “zip”.
Facebook uses a formula called Edgerank. For those of you who have neverheard of it, it’s a process by which Facebook decides how active your post is. If your post is really active, then it moves up in the News Feeds, thereby giving people a better chance of finding and reading it. So, the goal then, is to keep your post active in the News Feed. Recently Facebook has made some changes very positive changes to how all of this works. Here’s some interesting statistics from Facebook…
“Previously, people read 57% of the stories in their News Feeds, on average. They did not scroll far enough to see the other 43%. When the unread stories were resurfaced, the fraction of stories read increased to 70%.”
So what does all of this mean to you? Well, the changes Facebook has made allow you to change how your posts show up in News Feeds in order for you to get your posts read. The process of taking your posts that are buried way down the list in a News Feed and getting them back up at the top of the list is called “bumping”. And with the new changes Facebook has made, bumping your posts is not only possible, but also fairly easy to do!
The activity your post gets is what makes your post bump back up to the top of the News Feeds. So once your post is no longer easily accessible in a News Feed, the way to bumping it back up to the top is to get it active again. Some ways of doing this are:
Ask your friends to like, share, or comment on the post.
Ask a question about the post and get people talking about it again.
Mention something that currently happened that relates to the post, and get attention to it.
Say something funny about the post to create new activity.
But the bottom line is that if you find creative ways of getting that post active again, it will bump back up to the top of the News Feeds. And based on Facebook’s statistics the fraction of resurfaced stories that was read was very high! So try doing this with some of your stale posts, and let us know how it works for you! In fact, if you have a post you want to bump, let us help you. Just give us as much information as you can about the post so that we can find it (and be sure you are corresponding to us from the same Facebook page that the post is on, so that we are looking on the right page!), and we will go to the post and comment, share, or like it for you (or maybe even all three!). And keep in mind, when we do that, all the people who have liked our page will get notification of it, so you will get new people coming to your page. That’s what social media marketing is all about!
And as always, we want to remind you that we are here to help. If you need help with your social media marketing, or if you just need some consulting so that you can do your own, feel free to contact us. We DO offer consultations as well as social media marketing services, and we would love to be part of your success!